Thursday, January 27, 2005

Jan 27, 2005 - notes and update on Phone number

Hello all. Just one quick note first. I think that Tom left one number out of our phone number. I think you should dial 61 (country code for Australia) and then 0416965842 - he left out the zero and I think you need it.

So here we are in Exmouth in the northern part of Western Australia and it is HOT. I know I said Penang was hot but this is unbelievable! You could fry and egg on the side walk no problem. There are parrots in the air and emus walking down the streets! A strange place. We have come here to dive for three days starting tomorrow and I hope I will be OK. Unfortunately, after 4 months in Asia, I arrived in Perth and promptly came down with a viscious bug of some kind - fever, swollen glands, aches - the whole nine yards....we had decided to stay in a nice place as a pre-birthday present for me from my Mom and I have to say it was a great place to have to be sick in as it was comfortable and quiet and very cozy! Not that I wanted to be sick but better there than a lot of other places. Tom was great getting me soup from a near by Chinese place and we had a fridge to keep juice and other things in so it wasn't too bad.

After three days of rest I had to get up and out so we rented a camper van and drove down along the southern coast - beautiful scenery. The camper van was lots of fun as well and we stayed in some great parks near the beches during our drive. I still wasn't feeling great but did manage a glass of champagne and some red wine on my actual birthday complemented by a great steak dinner that Tom cooked for me.

We were back in Perth on Jan 25, flew up here yesterday (Australia Day) and enjoyed fireworks on the beach as part of the National Holiday festivities. They were great - much more than we would have expected in such a small place.

This internet cafe is going to close down shortly so I have to stop for right now but will come back to this tomorrow. I want to share with you some of my thoughts about reentering the westernized world.....we miss Asia - especially the cost of things - it is hard to believe that similar things can be priced so differently in places that are fairly close to one another .....but it is good to be back in a place that you can drink the tap water and sit on the toilets and be sure there will be TP at hand when needed! :-)

More later!

Pam

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home